Tuesday 12 January 2016

Welcome to my first post for the North Liverpool Academy

During the summer of 2015, I was delighted to be invited to join the governing body of the North Liverpool Academy. For a few minutes, I thought I was being invited to sit on a governing body in LA, but fortunately it turned out to be Liverpool! Anyway, now that that's clarified, and I have attended my first "formal meeting" of governors and senior staff, I thought I would set up a dedicated Blog site, through which I shall post my own thoughts on all matters relating to education, from my perspective as an Academic Biochemist, at the University of Sheffield. You can read some of my Blog posts at a number of related sites (side bar links), where I wax lyrical (or at least attempt to do so!). The page lay-out will be under construction for a few weeks as the content emerges, so any suggestions, likes, dislikes etc. would be much appreciated and embraced! I thought I would begin by giving you a taste of my...

First impressions. Jane Austen rejected this title for her classic tale of romance amongst the classes in early 19th Century English Society (well the part that she understood). You will be more familiar with the final title: "Pride and Prejudice". Such books have formed the lifeblood of an appreciation of story-telling for senior school English Literature students, for around 60 years. Jane Austen divides people. In 2003 Pride and Prejudice was voted the Nation's favourite book. Now I have read it (both under pressure and on holiday: for the record), I personally wouldn't describe it as a "rattling good read", but I acknowledge it is a great book. I much preferred George Orwell when I was first introduced to more adult literature: Animal Farm and 1984, being two of my long standing favourites. So why, you may wonder, am I droning on about a 200 year old novel? It's all about literacy.


One of the roles of governors is to take a considered and wider view on the progress of year groups; and I wasn't surprised at all to hear staff discuss their focus on building literacy skills across the school. In my day job, I interview prospective undergraduates at UCAS Open Days, I teach small groups of around 5 students in tutorials at first, second and third year undergraduate level. And I interview students in a viva voce (oral) examination before they are allowed to call themselves Dr. Smith or Dr. Jones. I also have to read and mark examination essays and many reports and, once every few months, student four year combined reports: the PhD thesis: around 300 pages of narrative and data combined. At the end of all this, students graduate with Bachelors, Masters or Doctoral degrees, and sometimes we award Honorary Degrees for high achieving alumni (former students). Can you identify the photograph of one recent Honorary Doctor of Letters? But....throughout all of this, one of the biggest issues we face (at University and in the Work-Place), is the failure of early career men and women to communicate their thoughts and ideas in clear and concise English. 

So my first task is to get to know a little more about the challenges facing both teachers and students in passing on the beauty of this incredibly rich language, that the rest of the world seem to be so desperate to learn! In fact, the English language is one of the most important features of any person's profile when they apply for work. And remember you will be increasingly competing for jobs with candidates from Europe and the rest of the World! The curriculum vitae, or CV for short, which the American's ironically (if you know your late 18th Century American History) refer to by the French word résumé, is a short written account of your life's achievements, mainly in terms of education and employment. Not only has an appreciation of English Language and Literature helped in my career, it continues to bring me enormous pleasure. I look forward to my first meeting with teachers, students and parents, to share your views on these issues!

No comments:

Post a Comment